Chameleon bootloader modification
After Chameleon team release their new boot loader called Chameleon 2.0 RC4, some people made a modification based on Chameleon 2.0 RC4 and PC EFI 10.5. Here is some of them :
Rekusor Modification :
OK, I modified the bootfile so that we can change the system-id (and not the old IOPlatformUUID).
This is because, though I tried to restore this feature: it has absolutely no effect anymore (at least) on a 10.6.2 system,
so I guess this is why it has been disabled in recent chameleon releases …
Since the IntVar fix, it works like this : the system-id is autogenerated (by uuidgen) then the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from this system ID.
So in few words, we can only change the system id.
This is tricky because you will only be able to check that the resulting IOPlatformUUID is changed if you change the system-id by putting your own UUID, but you won’t be able to read this system ID in the profile info.
Still, it should work and give you a way to avoid to generate a random system-id.
you can get it here
AsereBLN modification: Main thread
- First of all I fixed the stupid bug with the fixed Platform UUID.
- Fixed a bug regarding PCI-Root-UID different than 0
- Fixed a bug regarding the detection of the CPU
- Fixed dozens of possible buffer overflows
- and all the bugs I forgot to mention
- You can build Chameleon with GUI-support without the need of an embedded theme (Never understood why this should be necessary). The Booter is a lot smaller now. Only 160 kBytes.
- Platform UUID is taken from the BIOS (UUID from SMBIOS Table 1). You can remove PlatformUUID.kext, SMUUID from smbios.plist and also System-ID from com.apple.Boot.plist.
- Dynamic memory parameter detecting and injecting like Frequency, Type (DDR2, DDR3), Manufactor, Partnumber, Serialnumber. You can remove all memory related stuff from smbios.plist.
- Dynamic PCI-Root-UID detection from PCEFI 10.5
- Duvell300′s FACP Restart Fix added (from here)
- Filenames configured in com.apple.Boot.plist (DSDT=…, SMBIOS=…) must be given with the full path. The Booter does not check automatically the Extra Folder. So if you used DSDT=mydsdt.aml and the mydsdt.aml file is in the Extra folder, then you must use now DSDT=/Extra/mydsdt.aml.
- ATI and nVidia Video-ROM-Files must be renamed to <vendorid>_<deviceid>.rom and must be put into the Extra folder. vendorid and deviceid as 4-digit hex values without a leading 0x. For instance, a nVidia 9400 GT (55nm) has the vendorid “0x10DE” and the deviceid “0×0641″, so the filename must be “10de_0641.rom”. To enable nVidia VGA BIOS File Loading use: UseNvidiaROM=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist. To enable ATI VGA BIOS File Loading use: UseAtiROM=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist.
If you use the Booter without the embedded theme, then you must supply a Theme in Extra/Themes/ to have GUI support. The default theme name is “Default”. You can configure the theme to be used with Theme=”Name” in com.apple.Boot.plist.
Platform UUID is setup by injecting /efi/platform/system-id property. The UUID value from SMBIOS table 1 is used as system-id. If your BIOS does not provide an UUID, then you can configure the UUID with SMUUID in smbios.plist. If you set system-id=No in com.apple.Boot.plist, then the system-id is not injected into the IORegistry. Use this if you want/need to use PlatformUUID.kext or something similar.
The memory parameter detecting should work with P35/X38/X48/P45 memory controllers and the builtin memory controllers of the Core i5/i7 CPU’s. Reading of memory SPD (Serial Presence Detect EEPROM) data should work on P55, ICH10(R) and ICH9. You must remove all memory related keys from smbios.plist (SMmemmanufacter_X, SMmempart_X, SMmemserial_X, SMmemspeed & SMmemtype).
Dynamic PCI-Root-UID should work if your DSDT defines the UID like this: Name (UID, <value>). Default PCI-Root-UID is 0. You can configure the PCI-Root-UID to be used with PCIRootUID=<value> in com.apple.Boot.plist (-pci0, -pci1, PciRoot… does not work anymore).
You should also update boot0 (with fdisk) and boot1h with (dd), because the Chameleon team fixed some bugs there.
The archive contains:
- boot – the Booter without debugs, without an embedded theme
- boot_with_embedded_theme – the Booter without debugs and with an embedded theme
- boot_with_debugs – the Booter with some debug messages
- boot0 – the fist stage bootloader (goes into the MBR)
- boot1h – the second stage bootloader (goes to the beginning of the Chameleon Booter partition)
I ask everyone to use at least one time the Booter with Debugs and to take photos at every “(Press a key to continue…)” stop (PCI-Bus, CPU, Memory-Controller, SPD) to help me to improve Chameleon further. If you have a running Windows on your Hackintosh, then a TXT-Report made with the CPU-Z programm would be very helpful too. If you encounter problems, then use the Booter with debugs. Do not forget to rename it to boot.
Patch against Chameleon-RC4 is included, but without the memory detection stuff. I’ll release it after a grace period. You know… ASEM is also reading here
Any feedback is welcome!
Update Version 1.1.1:
- FACP RestartFix is enabled by default if you have an Intel CPU
- Memory Manufactor Code Lookup for some common Vendors (OCZ, G.Skill, GeIL, Crossair, Kingston)
Update Version 1.1.2:
- Fixed a bug with Memory Manufactor Code Lookup (DDR3: ManufactorID, Parity-Bit)
Update Version 1.1.3:
- Added Patriot, Crucial, A-DATA Memory Manufactor
- Support for 945 northbridge and ICH8, ICH7 southbridges
- SMBus Device Enable for systems there the controller is disabled (Tip from iNDi)
- printout a message if theme fails to load due to a missing file
- removed a print in non verbose mode to keep the Booter quiet
Update Version 1.1.4:
- You can supply a system-id with system-id=<value> in com.apple.Boot.plist
- You can prevent the system-id injection with system-id=No in com.apple.Boot.plist
- system-type is now supported. Default is 1 (Desktop). Use system-type=2 in com.apple.Boot.plist if you have laptop. (Link)
- Removed the setVideoMode(TEXT) in resume.c to make Hibernation work.
- Support for 946GZ/PZ, Q963/Q965a and P965 northbridge memory controllers.
Update Version 1.1.6:
- Improved system-type injection. ACPI V2 FACP PM_Profile is patched to match system-type.
- Fixed a bug with system-id injection (com.apple.Boot.plist).
- Supported memory manufactors: Micron, Samsung, Transcend, Apacer, Kingston, PNY, MDT, Corsair, GeIL, takeMS, Buffalo, Mushkin, OCZ, A-DATA, G.SKILL, TeamElite, Patriot and Crucial.
- Supported memory controllers: Core i5/i7 IMC, 945G/P, 955X, 945GM/PM, 945GME, 946GZ/PZ, Q963/Q965, P965, P35, X38/X48, 965GM, 965GME and P45.
- Supported SMBus controllers: P55, ICH10, ICH9, ICH8 and ICH7.
To set system-type put a system-type= into com.apple.Boot.plist (1=Desktop, 2=Laptop enables Battery, 3=Workstation). Default system-type is 1 (Desktop).
Update Version 1.1.7:
- Fixed the font swapping bug (small & console font).
- Fixed a problem with disabled MCH MMIO on some mainboards (needed to detect dram frequency).
Source n download : here
PS : i use AsereBLN mod boot loader and it work great so far
Comments are closed.